Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is an altered form of linoleic acid (LA), which is an omega-6 fatty acid important to human health. Although heard by many, little is still known about the true benefits of CLA in nutrition. CLA can be normally found in some meats and dairy products, and it’s suggested effects are said to be proportional to concentrations closed to human consumption levels.
CLA caught initial scientific interest in the late 70’s when it was discovered by accident at the University of Wisconsin., but with true studies done on CLA’s effects in animals in mid 80’s (during 10 years). This research proved CLA to have numerous benefits such as improved body composition, decrease in cancerous cells, antioxidant properties, etc. Later research of its effects on humans also proved special improvement of lean mass to body fat ratio, which rocketed all the fuzz about this free fatty acid as promising supplement.
Among the things we do know about CLA’s health promoting benefits, we have:
- Improved food and energy intake.
- Promotion of body fat mass reduction without adverse effects.
- Increased retention and build up of lean muscle.
- Lower cholesterol –aiding in diminution of arteriosclerosis and other coronary diseases.
- Lower insulin resistance –which help prevent adult-onset diabetes.
- Promising anti-carcinogen, anti-aging and immune system enhancer.
Although natural part of human diet, CLA is found in foods at levels too low to provide its benefits, which is why it is suggested its consumption at 1000 mg three times a day as a supplement, especially for the regular exerciser, fitness athlete and bodybuilder. Miami Beach Nutrition carries CLA in capsules form by name brand supplements such as Dymatize, MusclePharm, and others.